PM Pleased with Progress in Sondhi’s Assassination Case


Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he is happy with the issuance of arrest warrants for two suspects in the case.

The premier said the officer in charge of the investigation, deputy national police chief Thani Somboonsap, has informed him of obstacles in the case but he is not deterred and will continue with the investigation.

Deputy Prime Minister in charge of national security Suthep Thaugsuban said the government is fully supportive of Police General Thani’s investigation. If there are moles in the investigation team, Suthep says Police General Thani has full authority to replace those officers.

Suthep assures the case will proceed fairly even if military or police officers are found to be involved.

Senators Kamnoon Sitthisamarn and Warin Tiemcharas held a press conference calling on the Prime Minister to question the national police chief and the metropolitan police chief about the claim by Police General Thani that the investigation team received threats and results were leaked to suspects.

They added the national police chief should set up a committee to investigate the claim following speculation that extremely influential people masterminded the murder plot and the investigation will not lead to them.

Senator Warin commented that the information leak could have stemmed from phone tapping. He called on the premier to reassure the probe team that they have his full support in this case.

Senator Kamnoon earlier confronted the Prime Minister as he visited Parliament and asked him about his stance on this case. The premier replied that the government fully supports the work of the investigation team.

In a related development, police investigators and the Region 2 police force searched an agarwood factory which belongs to Puea Pandin Party leader General Chetta Thanajaro with his daughter-in-law Orathai Thanajaro, who is a banned Thai Rak Thai politician, as a board director.

Police said one of the wanted suspect, Sergeant Panya Srihaera, worked at the factory after the incident. He reportedly did not stay in the employee dormitory but commuted from his wife’s house, about 30 kilometers away.

Investigators believed he was tipped off and fled but an interrogation of the factory manager and workers found that he left about a month ago.

Police searched four more areas in Trad and found a number of heavy weaponry and ammunition believed to have been used in the assassination attempt.



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s