Two suspects in the Sondhi shooting case urged to surrender; silence killing feared

sonthi_shot1

Police have luanched a manhunt for two suspects involved in the Sondhi shooting case fearing the two might be targetted for silence killing, deputy national police chief General Thani Somboonsap said on Wednesday.

General Thani Somboonsap

General Thani Somboonsap

The two should report themselves to police because their lives might be in danger,” Thani said.

The court-approved warrants of arrest were issued on Tuesday naming the suspects as Corporal Worawut Mungsanti and Master Sergeant Panya Srihaera.

Worawut is a police officer assigned to the Narcotics Suppression Bureau and was seconded to work at the Department of Special Investigation.

Panya is a non-commissioned Army officer of the Special Warfare Command in Lop Buri.

The two remain at large and will face charges relating the assassination attempt against People’s Alliance for Democracy Sondhi Limthongkul in April.

The Army has not commented on Panya’s whereabouts. The police anti-drug unit said Worawut was absent from work for 14 days. Unless he reported to work tomorrow, he would face the mandatory disciplinary probe leading to the dishonourable discharge.

Military and police superiors have been trying to arrange the two’s surrender via their relatives.

The Nation

 

Police will seek warrants for more suspects in Sondhi case

Warrants will be sought for the arrest of more suspects in the attempted murder of People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Sondhi Limthongkul, deputy police chief Pol Gen Thanee Somboonsap said on Wednesday.

Pol Gen Thanee, head of the police investigation team, said evidence was being compiled against several more suspects to back the applications.

On Tuesday, arrest warrants were issued for an army NCO identified only as Panya attached to the Special Welfare Centre in Lop Buri province, and Pol Cpl Weerawut Mungsanti of the Narcotics Suppression Bureau, who is on temporary assignment to the Department of Special Investigation.

Pol Gen Thanee said he believed Rassami Mekchai, 27, a temporary employee at the Special Warfare Centre  and owner of the Toyota Vigo pick-up truck suspected to have been used in the attack on Mr Sondhi’s van in Bangkok on April 17, was unlikely to be involved in the case. Police would try to find out who used the vehicle for the attack.

There were still no clues where the assault weapons used by the gunmen came from.

Pol Gen Thanee complained that some police investigators had leaked information, delaying the progress of the investigation.

Pol Maj-Gen Adithep Panjamanont, deputy chief of the Narcotics Suppression Bureau (NSB), said Pol Cpl Weerawut had been absent from work for 14 days.  If he was absent beyond 15 days he would face serious disciplinary action and could be sacked from the police force, he said.

Pol Cpl Weerawut, 42, joined the NSB on March 1, 2002 and did not have any bad marks on his record.  He had been on temporary duty with the DSI since June 21, 2008.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon gave an assurance the army will not intervene in the police investigation of the ambush of Mr Sondhi.

Gen Prawit said the army will cooperate with the police and support the investigation.

Neither he nor army chief Anupong Paojinda had received any official report on the case. The army would let the case proceed according to the judicial process, he said.

By: Bangkok Post.com

Published: 15/07/2009 at 02:51 PM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s