BREAKING NEWS: Chamlong Says PAD Supporters Not to Stay Overnight at Government House

image18

People’s Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang has announced that no PAD supporters will be allowed to stay overnight at Government House for safety reasons.

Chamlong Srimuang

Chamlong Srimuang

People’s Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang has announced that no PAD supporters will be allowed to stay overnight at Government House for safety reasons.

The protesters who wish to spend the night they will be transported to Suvarnabhumi Airport or Don Muang Airport. No one will be allowed to spend the night at the Government House. They will still be permitted to attend the rally and listen to the speakers and various programs on the stage at the government seat during the day.

TOC

PAD relocates protesters to Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airport

donmueng_suvarnabhumi

Bangkok – The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) announced there would be no overnight protest at the Government House from now on.
       
       The PAD leaders agreed that the protesters should stay overnight only at the Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airport for their safety.
       
       PAD commentator Anchalee Paireerak told AFP that it was too dangerous for the protesters to stay at the Government House due to repeated attacks.
       
       “All of us have started to move now, we expect to complete the movement this evening.”
       
       The PAD has started its rally against Somchai government since May 25. It took control of the Government House on August 26.
       
       The group decided to seize both airports in an attempt to press Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to resign and give the power back to people.
       
       Though there will be only daytime protest at the Government House, it is not certain whether the PAD will render the place to the government or not.
       
       The PAD has seized the Suvarnabhumi Airport for one week so far.

Manager Online

Chamlong to abandon Govt House as protest site

attack_govthouse

Hit by a series of M79 grenade-launcher attacks in the past week, PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang told protestors today to evacuate the Government House compound and move to Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang sites “because we won’t be sitting ducks for the armed attackers any more.”

Govt House will remain a day-time protest site, he said, but protestors won’t stay over night there anymore because it is no longer a safe place especially at night.

Chamlong yesterday submitted a letter to the director of Suvarnabhumi Airport asking him to reopen the airport “because the protestors have not interfered with the runway or control tower.”

More than 45 aircraft out of 88 stranded at Suvarnabhumi have been last night and today flown out to pick up stranded passengers at other airports.

Thai Talk 

PAD to Continue Rally Even If People Power Dissolved

To prioritise the security of its protesters, The People’s Alliance for Democracy has decided to close the Government House rally site at night and ask all of its members to spend the night at the rally sites at Suvarnabhumi Airport or Don Muang Airport. It has promised to return Government House to the authorities within three to four days and says it will continue its rally even if the People Power Party is dissolved.

Today at noon, People’s Alliance for Democracy or PAD core leader Chamlong Srimuang announced the decision to close the Government House rally site at night and to have all protesters who are spending the night relocate themselves and their belongings to either the Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang Airports.

Speeches and activities at Government House will still continue, but protesters will no longer be allowed to spend the night there.

Buses and vehicles are being provided for the protesters at the Royal Turf Club to move to the other two PAD rally sites.

Dhamma Army coordinator Samdin Lertbutr said the focus would be for protesters to move to Suvarnabhumi Airport as the Government House rally site is no longer deemed safe following night after night of violent attacks and explosions.

The PAD has promised to return Government House to the authorities in three to four days. It added that even if the People Power Party is dissolved by the Constitution Court tomorrow, it will continue its rally at the Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airport sites. The PAD also apologized to the media for any threats or intimidation against it.

This morning, Don Muang Police Station Commander Colonel Narongrit Promsawad led officials to inspect the entrance ramp to the passenger terminal of Don Muang Airport, where gunshots were heard late last night.

The police collected bullet shells to examine further, but initially said that they were probably fired from a hand gun.

Last night saw the first round of joint patrols between the police and the PAD volunteer guards. Colonel Narongrit said it went well and the police and PAD volunteer guards divided up the areas to be patrolled. However, security will still have to be stepped up to prevent further violence.

The PAD rally at Don Muang has so far been fairly uneventful with staged speeches interspersed by music. Protesters are readying themselves for possible mobile rallies to other areas after yesterday’s rallies moved to the residence of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat and Interior Minister Kowit Watana.

TOC

PAD ends its occupation of the Government House

In a shocking move, People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) ended its three-month-long protest at the Government House on Monday

PAD’s co-leader Chamlong Srimuang informed anti-government protesters to abandon the Government House and move to gather at either Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi airports.

“I will lead you to continue the rally against the government at either airport. We will abandon the Government House. PAD’s guards are assigned to supervise moving of the equipments and tents to the new rally sites,” Chamlong said.

PAD had started the seizure of the Government House on August 26, forcing the prime ministers; Samak Sundaravej and incumbent Somchai Wongsawat, to work somewhere else including Supreme Command office. Somchai who was appointed to the position late October has never had chance to work there.

Chamlong said the Government House was no longer secure as it risked being attacked by pro-government supporters.

“I already alerted police about the insecurity and dangers on protesters protesting in the Government House, but they have done nothing,” he said.

Security and protection at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports are much better and 
Upon hearing Chamlong, some protesters said they would continue the protest there and would not move to new site.

“It is up to you if you wanted to stay here, but I would not guarantee your security. I don’t you to die here,” he said.

There would be no protesters but PAD’s guards staying overnight at the government House. The move will mean the end of live broadcast of ASTV at the Government House.

PAD provided many vehicles, including six-wheeled trucks, vans and pickups for protesters who wanted to go to the airports.

The Nation

PAD to quit Government House

Chamlong tells protesters to move to airports, says their security cannot be guaranteed at old site

In a surprising move, the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) ended its three-month protest at Government House yesterday.

PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang told anti-government protesters to abandon the compound and gather at either Don Mueang or Suvarnabhumi airports.

He said the PAD needed to clear all its blockade of the nearby roads and allow the areas to be cleaned up ahead of His Majesty the King’s birthday on Friday.

Chamlong earlier cited safety reasons for the end of Government House occupation. He said that it would be safer for protesters to gather at either of the city’s two airports, which the PAD has occupied since last Tuesday.

“I will lead you to continue the rally against the government at either of the airports. We will abandon Government House. PAD’s guards have been told to supervise moving of the equipment and tents to the new rally sites,” Chamlong said.

General Panthep Supanartnurak, a PAD adviser on security matters, said the move was because of the official celebrations of His Majesty the King’s birthday. And with road blockade removed, it would be difficult to ensure reasonable safety for the protesters, he said.

“So we agreed to move the rally site and evacuate Government House,” he said.

PAD started the siege of Government House on August 26, forcing prime ministers Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat to work from somewhere else, including the Supreme Command office. Somchai, who became PM late in October, has never worked at Government House.

Chamlong said yesterday that Government House was no longer secure as it risked being attacked by pro-government supporters.

“I have already alerted police about the insecurity and dangers to protesters at Government House, but they have done nothing,” he said.

Security and protection at Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports are much better.

Some protesters said they would continue their protest there and would not move to the new site.

“It is up to you if you want to stay here, but I will not guarantee your security. I don’t want you to die here,” Chamlong said.

There would be no protesters but PAD’s guards staying overnight at Government House. The move will mean the end of live broadcast of ASTV at Government House.

PAD provided many vehicles, including six-wheeled trucks, vans and pickups for protesters who wanted to go to the airports.

Protesters began collecting their belongings, such as TV sets and electric fans, yesterday in preparation for the relocation. Protest leaders announced there would be no live broadcast from Government House.

Meanwhile, bomb squads, National Human Rights Commission, related agencies and media members would inspect the Government House after the PAD ended its occupation of the complex.

Cabinet deputy secretary-general (civil servant side) Loyleun Bunnag commented that the officials then engaged in talks with the PAD because the demonstrators wanted the officials to drop charges.

As PAD guards yesterday afternoon brought 20 trucks to transport people out of the complex, move their belongings and dismantle tents, the officials would wait for them to finish that before police seal the place to make way for damage inspection.

“We have not set the date for such an inspection yet. When the PAD moves out, bomb squads, the National Human Rights Commission, related agencies and media members will inspect the damage together,” he said.

He added that the damages might take some amount of time and a lot of money for repairs.

FUTHER READING

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s